Tepung Pelita is a classic treat that is famous during Ramadhan! And even without banana leaves, you can still make this sweet and creamy dessert right in your kitchen.
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 4 tbsp rice flour
- 4 cups pandan juice, blend pandan leaves with water and strain out the pulp to get the juices
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- green food colouring, optional
- In a pot, combine pandan juice, rice flour and sugar. Add in a few drops of green food colouring. Stir on low heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Pour mixture in either individual containers or one large container. Ensure the container is heatproof. Steam for 5 minutes or until the mixture is set. Set aside.
- In another pot, add in the coconut milk, salt and remaining rice flour, Stir gently on low heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture on top of the set green layer to create the iconic white and green layers. Steam for 5 minutes or until both layers are set.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.